Thursday, January 7, 2010

Choices and obstacles...

I just took my first ever tele class. It was hosted by author Patty Digh and David Robinson. They are creative partners and you can learn more about them at: http://37days.typepad.com/thecircleproject/

They were talking about how we set up intentions, (in my case, becoming more fit) and then how our choices help us to succeed or fail. I am going to listen to the class again, but one thing that I took away from this that I find helpful is that how one forms their intention can affect the outcome. For instance, if I started this fitness adventure by saying, "I am going to lose 65 lbs. by the end of the year," I am framing my desire in a fairly negative way, and setting myself up for failure from the start. Losing 65 lbs. is a lofty goal, and one that I obviously have not been successful at in the past. However, in this case, I set my goal up in a positive frame work. "I want to be more fit at 50."

The other interesting thing they said was that all goals have obstacles. And we can either resist meeting that obstacle, or embrace it. No one loves obstacles, right? But the point made was that learning and change happen when we finally embrace and meet that obstacle.

This was timely information, because I am entertaining guests for dinner tonight, and I made a batch of very delicious brownies for dessert. And this morning, after a healthy breakfast, I ATE TWO BROWNIES. Big ones. I enjoyed them immensely, but have been beating myself up all day over it. Judging myself, and badly.

Patti and David suggested that rather than judge, I learn from my experience. So, I am shifting focus. I am going to NOT keep brownie mix in the house, I am going to have the lowest calorie lunch on the planet to make up for my high calorie indulgence, and I am going to go take a longer walk than I had planned. This is a tiny change in my attitude, but I am embracing that change, not kicking myself any further, and looking forward to how I tackled the next obstacle in my path.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment